Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Day 34 - Crab Cakes & Birthday Surprise!

Forget the menu for a minute.  My baby turned 6 today!  So, I actually made cookies (I can count on my fingers how many times I have done that - I'm a cook, not much of a baker (too many exact measurements for my squiggle personality).

Of course, I can't just make any cookies.  The main ingredient can NOT be sugar (actually I'd rather not have any sugar), and whole grains, please.

So, I found a yummy recipe in one of my cancer cookbooks, if you can believe it.  Oatmeal, banana & chocolate chip cookies.  Made with maple syrup and whole wheat flour.  The chocolate chips - well, I usually substitute carob, but figured the cookies are a treat and I wanted to ensure that all the kids at my daughter's school would eat them.  Of course, can't serve cookies without raspberries on the side! And, added in some apple cider fresh from a local farm (but did dilute it in some water).  This year I got to stay and watch the birthday procession at school - very sweet. They put the "sun" in the center of the circle of kids.  Then the birthday child walks around the sun as many times as years old, signifying a year of the earth's rotation around the sun as a year in a life.  Quite clever and fun for the kids as they count.  Gotta love Montessori!

Oatmeal, Banana & Chocolate Chip Cookies
 OK, so the lunch box menu:
- Crab Cakes (found at a local farmer's market)
- Whole Wheat Bread
- Mixed Baby Green Salad
- Apple

Baby Greens Salad & Crab Cake

The Quintessential Apple

No comments:

Post a Comment