Monday, November 22, 2010

Day 43 - Pinwheels

My daughter's birthday party gave us a few leftovers (sorry Stephen)!  I made 3 types of pinwheels to try to accommodate a 4-6 year old audience used to pizza.  First of all - let me tell you  (some of you may know), how nerve-wracking it is to try to cater to an audience of kids who don't exactly eat the way we do, and one of which has a nut allergy!  I usually read the ingredient lists of grocery store items  - which made me go from store to store to find wraps without trans fats; but this time I reread them several times to ensure there were NO nuts even close to the food items used.

I ended up with a couple trays of fruit, veggies & hummus and pinwheels.  The pinwheels were (all on whole spelt, organic wraps): cream cheese, cream cheese and cucumbers, cream cheese & turkey breast (organic with no nitrates added).  I could sleep OK knowing that at my kid's birthday, I was true to my healthy food philosophy (vegans forgive me...).

Lunch Bag
- Pinwheels
- Carrots, Cucumbers & Hummus
- Fruit Salad
- Blueberry Scones

Pinwheels

In the Stainless Container with Cucumbers & Carrots
 I don't usually buy individual-sizes for food (for environmental & pricing concerns), but for the birthday party, it seemed a better idea to use these little ones.
Individual-Sized Hummus
 This might look a little unappetizing!  I made melon (cantaloupe) balls for the party (for fruit kabobs) and used the leftovers for this fruit salad (very odd shapes - if you were in manufacturing, you'd understand the term offal).  Also had leftover pineapples that didn't make it on the kabobs.  Voila, next day's fruit salad.
Fruit Salad
And finally, the last of last week's blueberry scones!
Blueberry Scones

No comments:

Post a Comment