Friday, October 1, 2010

Day 18 - Brown Rice, Roasted Chicken & Ratatouille Stir Fry

Made it through another week.  For the most part, the kids have been doing reasonably well finishing their lunches.  If they have a little left, we've gotten into the routine to eat it when we get home as the after-school snack.  This has been the philosophy all along in our house - if you don't finish, that's fine (as long as you are really full), the rest can wait until you are hungry again.  And, only one meal made - my house is not a restaurant!  :0)  The classic from my daughter - my tummy hurts, I'm full.  Then she asks for a cookie.  They cookie, I say, I'd be happy to give her after she finishes her dinner.

I divert...

Today:
- Brown Rice, Roasted Chicken & Ratatouille Stir Fry
- Whole Wheat Bun with Cream Cheese
- Farm-Fresh Melon

Two nights ago I made a big batch of brown rice and ratatouille stir fry (zucchini, squash, eggplant, onion & tomato).  I waited a day to slide it into their lunches (to give the appearance of more variety)!  Yesterday in the morning I threw my chicken (I get through my CSA - organic (but not certified) and free-range) into a slow cooker with a thyme, garlic and olive oil rub.  Took about 10 minutes to prep, then slow cooked for 8 hours to have succulent roasted chicken for dinner.  Of course, the leftovers made it into the stir fry today.  (I also made 16 more cups of chicken broth from the carcass - I seem to go through that each week with reheating things (perfect for reheating rice) and often making soup.)

Today is the last day of my friend's homemade whole wheat buns which the kids just gobble up.  They were getting a little dry, so I spread some cream cheese on them.  And, the last of the farm-fresh melon (unless I get more in my next week's CSA share).

Just a note NO BLOG NEXT week.  Unless my husband is adventurous enough to sub for me!

The Pics:


Brown Rice, Ratatouille & Chicken Stir Fry
Whole Wheat Buns & Cream Cheese
Farm Fresh Melon
Have a great week.

Warmly,

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment