Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Day 1 - Chicken & Avocado Salad

Woke up REALLY early today to make sure we got off to a good start.  Of course, it would have been really smart to plan out at least a day before what I should put in the lunches!  Oh well, my forte is taking left-overs and creating something edible with them.

So, scrounging through the fridge I found:
- brown rice
- BBQ chicken
- cucumber/dill/yogurt sauce (from falafels over the weekend)
- cabbage
Then on the countertop:
- tomato and avocado

instant chicken/avocado salad!

Chicken/Avocado Salad

Cabbage, by the way is part of the cruciferous family. Cruciferous vegetables include cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Chinese cabbage, cauliflower, kale, watercress, radish, parsnip, turnip, rutabaga and kohlrabi.  Numerous studies are coming out about the cancer-fighting properties in this group of vegetables; I try to get some daily into our diet.



I am awaiting my stainless steel containers that I ordered last night, so I had to use glass for the peach pie!  I normally am not a baker, but last week I actually made the pie, crust and all.  The pie crust was only three ingredients:  whole wheat pastry flour, butter and water.  I felt much better about feeding my kids that, vs. the pies in the grocery stores that are laden with all sorts of ingredients that I can't pronounce.  The peaches - well, we went peach picking a couple of weeks ago and I had to come up with all sorts of ways to use them up before spoiling.

Then I added carrots in for an extra veggie dose and the kids love them.  The carrots fit nicely into the reusable cotton bags I got at the farmers' market.

See how the bags fold over for great storage.

So, that's it.  Chicken/avocado salad, carrots, peach pie and water.  By the way, I packed the same lunch for myself - and it was all very yummy despite the 'last-minute throwing together left-overs' approach.


You'll note the salad went into the thermos containers to stay fresh until lunch.

Success?  I think so, but the proof will come when I find out what's left in the bag when the kids get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment