Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day 5 - Turkey Chili on Rotini

Le Menu
- Turkey Chili
- Whole Wheat Rotini
- Red Pepper & Cucumber Side
- Farm Fresh Melon

I'm awaiting the stainless steel containers I ordered last week over the internet;  ergo, my kids are still getting an extra workout carrying the glass containers!  I suspect they will arrive within the next couple of days.  The Thermos' are working really well.  I'm finding, though, that even filling the small Thermos is proving to be a bit too much food for the kids.  I filled them about 3/4 full yesterday and got back about 1/4.  Guess what the kids' side dish was last night for dinner...yup, the stirfry from lunch.  My mom always taught me waste not, want not!

My husband, the king of chili, made some really good chili on Sunday (before his back went out).  So, today the chili made it into the lunch.  My usual trick of using chicken stock to warm up the chili this morning took a couple of minutes, as did the rotini.  I think in total I spent 10 minutes from fridge to lunch bag, including clean up.  I happened to roast a chicken last night for tonight's supper (and no doubt tomorrow's lunch), which led me to make another batch of chicken stock.  Very simple. I'll give you the roast chicken recipe tomorrow.

So, here's lunch today.  The melon is the one I cut open yesterday - can't have that going bad!  The cucumbers, same organic baby cukes along with baby red peppers.  The cotton bags work well for veggies.

Rotini
Turkey Chili
Baby Cukes & Peppers
Cuke & Pepper in the Bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment