Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Day 10 - Roasted Chicken Salad

OK, Day 10 I'm still jogging along without sandwiches!  By the way, I'm not against sandwiches - they will show up in the kids' lunch boxes eventually, but I'm trying to use less refined carbs.  The more you process the original food (in bread's case, the grain) into flour, the more they work in the body like simple table sugar (not great for all sorts of health reasons).  Even using whole grain and/or sprouted grain bread products, they still contain a lot of additives and preservatives that I'd rather the kids not have on a regular basis.  Now, if I finally got my act together and made my own bread, well - that would be a different story.  Hopefully that will happen sometime this school year.

So today I took advantage of the celery, carrots, red pepper and left over roast chicken and made a chicken salad.  I bound it together with plain Greek organic yogurt.  Greek yogurt is much thicker than regular yogurt, more closely resembling mayonnaise, the traditional binding agent for chicken salad.  I feel this is a better, more nutritious option.  Still tastes great!

Chicken Salad Ingredients

We also had a large quantity of tomatillos from our CSA share last week.  My husband threw them in the food processor together with a bit of cilantro and lime - presto, tomatillo salsa that the kids eat by the spoonful!  Today, they are having them with organic tortilla chips.  I chose organic when it comes to tortilla chips as they are made from corn.  Most corn in the US is GMO (genetically modified) which I'm not too keen about.  If you buy organic in the US, it is certified non-GMO.

Tomatillo Salsa and Tortilla Chips

See how handy these stainless lunch boxes are with the divider?

For dessert - melon.

Say goodbye soon to these lunch bags (with the vinyl liner - see my second blog to understand why I don't like vinyl):

Old Lunch Bags
I should receive my eco-friendly lunch bags today or tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment