Monday, September 20, 2010

Day 9 - Roasted Veggies

Menu du jour
- Roasted Veggies
- Brown Rice
- Red Grapes

We used up a lot of our CSA veggies last night - roasted on the BBQ, so lots of leftovers.  I got up in enough time to cook some brown rice this morning; I used chicken stock instead of water to give a bit more flavor, especially since i was just added roasted veggies to the brown rice.

Roasted Eggplant, Red Pepper, Zucchini, Tomatoes, Red Onion & Garlic


Put the brown rice and veggies into the thermos, threw the grapes into the cotton 'sandwich' bags.

Also added in some apples with peanut butter for snack; the kids get snack provided at school, but it is often crackers which, depending on what they are made of, I typically don't like to give to them (and they actually ask for fruit - YEAH!).  Most crackers are so processed that they react in your body just as sugar does.  Gives you a rush of insulin, stores the glucose as excess fat, thereby robbing the body of sustained energy  (ok, a very abbreviated discussion on how sugar wrecks havoc on your body - if you are intrigued and want to find out more, contact me...but have a good amount of time ready).  Typically the ingredients start with stripped down flour (not whole wheat) and have far too many additives and preservatives - many with trans fats (partially hydrogenated oils).  These are also very bad for you (again, way too much to talk about in this blog). Unfortunately, the best-meaning parents and care-givers don't know how nutrient-devoid and artificial our food system has become.  And, there is very little education out there on the topic.  So, if you can stick with me, I'll throw in some of my nutrition tips here and there and try not to be too preachy (a trait my husband tells me I have when I start writing about nutrition)!

No comments:

Post a Comment