Friday, September 10, 2010

Day 3 - Potato & Leek Gazpacho

On the way home yesterday from school, my daughter stated, without provocation, "You know Mommy, you should really pack less in my lunch bag, I just don't have time to eat everything and talk to all my friends."  My reply, "Why don't you talk, then take a bite and while you chew, listen to your friend talk.  Then you just take turns talking and eating!"  I did get a bemused look so perhaps she'll think about it today.

So, I guess I'll dial down a bit the quantity in the lunch bag.  Oh, and I finally got organized and went shopping; all is well.

Today I sent them off with:
- Potato and Leek Gazpacho
- Edamame
- Romano Cheese
- Farm Fresh Melon

OK, you caught me - I've a wee bit of marketing training and it's really all in the wording--I don't think Cold Tomato and Leek Soup sounds quite as appealing!  And, I'm a bit misleading as Gazpacho, authentically speaking, is tomato-based.

Potato and Leek Gazpacho
So, having said that - this is incredibly easy to make.
1. Peel and chop up 4-5 medium-sized potatoes
2. Bring 3-4 cups vegetable or chicken stock and potatoes to a boil (should just cover all the potatoes), reduce to simmer, cover 15 minutes
3. Chop up 1 leek, add to simmering pot, simmer additional 10 minutes
4. Salt and pepper to taste
5. Puree in blender (the hand blenders are great, just put in pot and turn on, no extra mess)
6. Fold in 1/2 cup sour cream
7. Put in fridge overnight

Really yummy.  We actually had some hot last night, then cold today.  Great both ways.  I did, however, not have sour cream, or my usual substitute, plain greek yogurt.  Instead I tried cottage cheese (note the chunky bits in the photo).  So, may not look appealing but truly is good and with 5-6 ingredients and little work - one I'll do again.

My kids love romano cheese, so in went a couple of slices (in the cotton food bags):

Romano Cheese
The edamame - baby soy beans - my kids love.  I am lucky because the CSA I joined (Community Supported Agriculture; you essential by a farm share each season up front, then get surprise produce each week) have had some really fresh edamame the last couple of weeks and my kids get quite a giggle popping the beans out of the shells.

Edamame
And, also from the CSA, some gorgeously juicy melon:

Farm Fresh Melon

OK, so I made it through the first (abbreviated week) with out a sandwich, and meeting most of my criteria set forth at the start of this blog.  All good.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment