Thursday, September 16, 2010

Day 7 - Tacos

Today - TACOs!

Trying an experiment.  The kids do a lot of cooking at home with me, and we often have fun meals like pizza and tacos where we can put together our meals by ourselves.  This will be the first time they are doing it without my direct supervision; I did warn, however, one of the teachers at school...

So, turkey chili (yep, reusing the original chili dinner, again), baby spinach (chopped), tomatoes (chopped) and feta cheese in whole wheat tortilla wraps (2 each):

The Taco Kit

This is how it looks at packaged up:

Let me show you how these handy cotton wraps worked to put the tortillas in.  It will work for wraps, sandwiches - even chicken legs if you wish!


Nifty, eh?

And, for dessert, grapes.


Yesterday they still had a few leftovers from lunch even though I'm putting less in their bags, but, they were also very hungry after school.  So, I'm thinking they are just getting too distracted during lunch to eat everything.  After all, this is their first year at school with lunch and friends.  My strategy - finish off lunch after school, then you may have something else if you are still hungry.  I get quite the look when I do this; perhaps it will encourage them to finish their lunches?!  We'll see.

If you are interested in general nutrition and health, sign up for my monthly newsletter.

No comments:

Post a Comment