Monday, September 27, 2010

Day 14 - Quinoa Salad

Quinoa Salad with cantaloupe for dessert.

Monday morning.  Not quite organized (as per usual), but gave my head a shake and set to work.  I was making oatmeal on the stove top for the kids' breakfast, so figured I might as well make a fast-cooking grain for lunch.  Quinoa.  Pronounced Keen-wah, this amazing grain is a complete protein, making it a very good choice for vegetarians. It also is very versatile.

It only took 15 minutes to cook.  As it cooked, I cut up some squash, carrots and parsley.  When the quinoa was done, I chilled it in the fridge, then added the veggies and tossed it all with some olive oil.  Then I threw in some chickpeas.  Finally garnished with Feta cheese.  Voila - Quinoa Salad.  You can really add any veggie you have in your fridge, and of course, if you are vegan omit the Feta.

Quick, easy, healthy and tasty.  Quinoa is also a great side dish served warm.


Cooked Quinoa with Chopped Veggies


Chick Peas (or Garbanzo Beans)
Quinoa Salad

Start to finish, 20 minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment